「Surgical tips for DALK and DMEK」
Dr. Rajesh Fogla,
Senior Consultant, Director Cornea Clinic / Apollo Hospitals, India
■Surgical tips for DALK
- DALK can be used for keratoconus / PMCD / keratoglobus, post LASIK ectasia, post INTACS / CXL, corneal scars, stromal dystrophy & degeneration, ocular surface reconstruction, infections.
- DALK should considered as procedure of choice for corneal diseases with healthy endothelium.
- Surgical techniques continue to evolve ensuring greater success of Big Bubble DALK.
- Preoperative evaluation & surgical planning essential to minimize complications.
- Femtolaser technology & ASOCT may help improve outcomes in future.
■Surgical tips for DMEK
- DMEK can be used for bullous keratopathy and endothelial dysfunction, like pseudophakic / aphakic bullous keratopathy, Fuch’s endothelial dystrophy, failed graft, ICE syndrome, CHED.
- Several advantages of DMEK over other techniques of Endothelial Keratoplasty.
- Faster visual recovery, better quality of vision, minimal refractive shift and reduced rejection rates make DMEK an ideal procedure to manage endothelial disorders.
- Step wise approach to learning DMEK, along with proper selection of initial cases can make the learning curve easier for corneal surgeons.